Denial of pension led suicidal man to set fire to bus in China
Beijing: The Chinese man, who set a bus on fire killing himself and 46 others in a suicidal act, was reportedly angry and dejected over officials apathy in granting him pension despite 56 visits to get it.
Before targeting the city bus with over 90 passengers in China`s southeastern city of Xiamen, Chen Shuizong, 59, posted on microblogging site Tencent Weibo that he was not able to receive social security insurance because of an error by the police in recording his age. He complained that his problem was not treated seriously.
"I have been to the police station 56 times but they still haven`t solved my problem," Chen`s reported posting published in the state-run Global Times today said .
Several screenshots of a video circulating on Weibo - the Chinese substitute for Twitter, showed a man who was said to be Chen, dragging a plastic bag and walking on the street.
The bus was ignited with gasoline leading to an explosion. Investigation by experts and police showed the tyres and oil tank of the bus remained intact while most of its other parts were gutted.
The combustion improver was gasoline while the bus was equipped with diesel engine rising suspicion that it was not an accident, state-run CCTV reported. Chen reportedly carried the bag containing gasoline into the bus and ignited it.
The deadly fire killed 47 people, including Chen, while 34 others were injured.
Chen wrote on his microblog that he had been a street vendor since 1994 and had been bullied for years by urban management officers. He had recently applied for a pension, but was refused several times as the government said he did not qualify.
Chen`s microblog was accessible till yesterday morning, but was blocked by afternoon.
The Nanfang Daily reported that Chen`s house in the Fujian city`s Siming district had been blocked by police as teams with sniffer dogs searched the scene. Chen`s brother told the newspaper that Chen had petitioned the Xiamen government several times about his treatment.
It is not the first case in China in which a person who felt unfairly treated by authorities has targeted innocent passengers on public transport.
Arson attacks by disgruntled people took place in the past as a bus in Chengdu, capital of southwestern Sichuan Province, was set ablaze by an unemployed man with gasoline in 2009.
Twenty eight people were killed and more than 70 others injured in that incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview