Dewani couple ‘begged for their lives’: Suspected killer
London: Indian-origin couple Shrien and Anni Dewani begged for their lives after their vehicle was hijacked during their honeymoon in South Africa, it has emerged.
Xolile Mngeni, who is believed to be one of the murderers hired to kill Anni, said that he and a man named ``Mawewe`` hijacked the taxi in Cape Town on November 13, 2010 with a ``white man and woman`` sitting in the back seat.
“They said please don``t kill us ... They took out two phones and a camera. I told them: you are not going to be killed,” Mngeni said in a police video shown in the court.
The video formed part of a trial-within-a-trial, in which the judge at Western Cape High Court had to decide whether the state can admit the video as evidence to be used later in proceedings, the Daily Mail reports.
According to the paper, the defence argued that the statement was made under duress, and also questioned its authenticity.
In the video shown in court, Mngeni said he asked Mawewe, “What are we going to do with these two people?``
The alleged accomplice replied that he would separate the couple.
At this point, the ``white man`` apparently said he could not be dropped off alone because ``this is his wife,” the report said.
Dewani, 28, originally from Sweden, was killed in Gugulethu on November 2010 in an apparent hijacking.
Her husband was thrown out of the vehicle and Dewani``s body was found later.
So far, two men have admitted their role in Dewani``s murder and claimed her husband orchestrated the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH