Dutch pray across bereaved nation for MH17 victims
The Hague: Churchgoers prayed across the Netherlands on Sunday for the 298 victims of the Malaysia Airways plane crash in Ukraine, most of them Dutch.
"What should have been the ushering in of a wonderful holiday time has become a nightmare," Father Wim van Meijgaarden told the faithful at his church in southern town Meerssen at the start of the school summer holidays.
At least 80 of those killed on flight MH17 were children, while 193 of the dead were Dutch.
The plane crashed in rebel-held eastern Ukraine on Thursday en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, apparently shot out of the sky by a surface-to-air missile.
"A civilian plane has been shot out of the sky by militant movements in Ukraine," Meijgaarden said in the mass broadcast live on Dutch television.
"Our sympathy is with the families and our grief is with those who mourn their loved ones."
The priest rejected widespread calls on social media for revenge against those who brought down the plane.
"What is now more important: getting revenge on the culprits or thinking about the victims and their relatives?" he said.
Some churches have lit 298 candles in memory of the dead, and vicar Jochem Stuiver said that lighting a candle could help overcome feelings of grief and powerlessness.
"I don`t think that you can defeat darkness by doing even darker things, but by bringing some light into the grief and supporting each other," he said in Maarssen, outside the central city of Utrecht.
The head of the Dutch Bishops Conference, Cardinal Wim Eijk, called last week for the faithful to do what they could to help the bereaved, and to pray for them on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp