Edward Snowden ``too hot`` for Beijing to handle
Washington: Beijing who has been keeping mum over NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden`s indecisive future has reportedly called his issue ``too hot to handle`` as a result of which there are fewer options for Beijing.
The officials have not spoken against or in favour of Snowden who has been in hiding in Hong Kong in an attempt to escape US extradition for leaking NSA`s secret surveillance details, the Christian Science Monitor reports.
According to the report, China has so far only denied Snowden`s role as their spy but Beijing could intervene following Hong Kong`s extradition treaty with US in force since 1996 despite Hong Kong`s system is independent of mainland China.
Hong Kong`s chief executive can reject the extradition request if surrendering a fugitive might implicate ``the defence, foreign affairs or essential public interest or policy`` of the central government in Beijing.
However, Beijing`s intervention is dubious because recently in the US-China summit the two nations have aimed at stronger ties and any attempt at denying US requests would result in a fall out. Deputy head of the School of International Studies at Peking University, Jia Qingguo believes that Beijing government will not participate in Snowden`s issue and simply respect the decision of the Hong Kong court.
Meanwhile, Hong Kong`s top official, Leung Chin-ying said that Hong Kong will handle Snowden`s case in accordance with the laws and established procedures of the land, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30