Egypt court clears Mubarak aides for election
Cairo: Egypt`s Constitutional Court has rejected the "political isolation law" that barred former president Hosni Mubarak`s associates from politics.
According to Nile TV, the law barred officials of the Mubarak regime from running for public office.
The court on Thursday ruled against the law passed by the Islamist-led Parliament that sought to bar Ahmed Shafiq -- Mubarak`s last prime minister -- from the vote pitting him against the Muslim Brotherhood`s candidate, Mohamed Morsi.
The law was approved in April in a bid to disqualify anyone who served in top government positions in the last decade of Mubarak`s rule.
The court also ruled that one-third of the members of Parliament was elected in violation of the Constitution and declared their election null and void.
Parliament was elected under a system where two-thirds of MPs acquired their seats "on a party basis" and the remaining one-third were individual candidates.
The individual candidates were meant to be "independents" but members of political parties were subsequently allowed to run, giving the Muslim Brotherhood`s Freedom and Justice Party an advantage.
That system was challenged in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo