Egypt detains 4 Al-Jazeera journalists in Cairo
Cairo: The Qatar-based Al-Jazeera English network says four of its journalists have been arrested by Egyptian authorities after they covered events in Cairo.
Al-Jazeera English says correspondent Wayne Hay, cameraman Adil Bradlow and producers Russ Finn and Baher Mohammed were detained on Tuesday.
The network in a statement Thursday called the arrests "a campaign against Al-Jazeera in particular." The arrests came after the network`s Al-Jazeera Mubashir Misr affiliate in Egypt was raided and staff detained.
Egypt`s interim government says Al-Jazeera is biased in favor of ousted Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, claims denied by the network.
Al-Jazeera English said authorities are responsible for the journalists` safety and demanded their release. Egyptian authorities today labeled Al-Jazeera Mubashir Misr a "threat to national security" and took steps to ban it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016