Egypt Islamists, rivals clash over judiciary overhaul
Cairo: Two people were on Friday hurt in central Cairo after protesters marched on thousands of Islamists who had rallied outside the Supreme Court demanding judicial reform.
The two sides pelted each other with stones and Molotov cocktails and gunfire was heard, an AFP journalist said.
They were demanding an overhaul of the judiciary, after a court challenged a decision by Islamist President Mohammed Mursi to sack the veteran state prosecutor.
Mursi`s Muslim Brotherhood had called the demonstration outside the Supreme Court, which has repeatedly challenged the president since he took office last June.
"The people demand the cleaning up of the judiciary," the protesters chanted.
Last month, a court overturned a controversial decree by Mursi to sack state prosecutor Abdel Meguid Mahmud, appointed by ousted president Hosni Mubarak, and replace him with Talaat Abdallah.
The court believed Mursi had overstepped his powers when he sacked Mahmud, blamed for bungling the trials of former regime officials, including Mubarak himself, after the 2011 uprising.
Many judges are Mubarak-era appointees, and Mursi supporters claim they remain hostile to them despite subsequent election victories.
A court also overturned Mursi`s call for parliamentary polls this month, ruling that he had ratified a new electoral law without consulting the constitutional court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed