Egyptian court says prez elections as scheduled
Cairo: Egypt`s Higher Administrative Court overturned on Saturday a lower court`s decision to suspend the presidential elections set to be held on May 23 and 24, which meant the historic vote will go as scheduled.
The Administrative Court of Banha ordered on Wednesday to suspend the presidential elections, alleging the Higher Presidential Elections Committee doesn`t have the right to mobilize voters.
The higher administrative court said that the presidential elections law gives this right to the presidential elections committee, official MENA news agency reported.
The same court also annulled another ruling which suspended the elections committee`s decision to refer a political isolation bill targeting officials linked to former regime over past ten years to the Supreme Constitutional Court.
The constitutional court has the jurisdiction to review the political isolation law if the law is referred to it, said the higher court.
The two verdicts cleared the way for the polls.
A total of 13 candidates will run in the elections. Opinion polls show former foreign minister and Arab League chief Amr Moussa, and former Muslim Brotherhood senior member Abdel Monem Aboul Fotouh are among the leading candidates. They were followed by former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafik and Mohamed Morsi, chairman of the Freedom and Justice Party, the political arm of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Analysts say no one could win more than 50 percent in the first round. The run-off will be held on June 16 and 17.
The vote is the first after ex-President Hosni Mubarak stepped down in February last year amid 18 days of mass anti-government protests. The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which has since been in power for the transition, will hand over power by June 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh