English Defence League retaliates following Woolwich terror attack
London: Supporters of the English Defence League (EDL) have expressed their rage at Woolwich Police for its failure to solve the murder of a British soldier and the shooting of two of his suspected assailants.
A group of 100 men, some wearing balaclavas printed with `EDL`, threw bottles at the police and chanted anti-Muslim slogans for less than an hour, The Guardian reports.
EDL leader Tommy Robinson said Islam is not a religion of peace and it is high time that law enforcers and lawmakers listen and understand the reason behind the British public`s anger.
Protesters gathered outside the Woolwich Arsenal station with flags bearing the cross of St. George despite the presence of hundreds of police including riot police around Woolwich.
During the clashes, a 43-year-old man has been arrested for carrying a knife while walking into a mosque in Braintree, Essex.
The secretary of the mosque, Sikander Saleemy, said he felt that the man`s behaviour suggested a `revenge attack` and despite their condemnation of the Woolwich attack, he confessed that the Muslims are not connected in the appalling act of terror, adding that it is unfortunate that people will start accusing the Muslims even more after the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place