EU satisfied with US-Russia deal on Syria
Brussels: The European Union (EU) has expressed satisfaction with the US and Russia`s joint call for an international conference on Syria to end the escalating crisis in that country.
"The EU would welcome any dialogue that would bring two sides to the negotiating table," reported Xinhua on Wednesday citing Michael Mann, the spokesperson for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
"The EU has repeated on many occasions that the solution of the conflict lies in a comprehensive political settlement," he added.
He said the EU "stands ready to assist in any way possible and hopes that the conference will be a beginning of a peace process".
Having held talks with Russian officials, US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Tuesday the two had agreed to convene an international conference on Syria.
It would be attended by representatives of the Syrian regime and the opposition, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand