EU satisfied with US-Russia deal on Syria
Brussels: The European Union (EU) has expressed satisfaction with the US and Russia`s joint call for an international conference on Syria to end the escalating crisis in that country.
"The EU would welcome any dialogue that would bring two sides to the negotiating table," reported Xinhua on Wednesday citing Michael Mann, the spokesperson for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
"The EU has repeated on many occasions that the solution of the conflict lies in a comprehensive political settlement," he added.
He said the EU "stands ready to assist in any way possible and hopes that the conference will be a beginning of a peace process".
Having held talks with Russian officials, US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Tuesday the two had agreed to convene an international conference on Syria.
It would be attended by representatives of the Syrian regime and the opposition, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj