Ex-Libyan PM `beaten’ on forced return from Tunisia
Tripoli: Libya`s former prime minister al-Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi was tortured and beaten on his forced return to Tripoli from Tunisia, his lawyer has claimed.
Marcel Ceccaldi, a French lawyer, said that Mahmoudi had been badly beaten by Libyan security officers and left with broken ribs and a punctured lung.
“According to the information I have, it seems that he has been beaten. He is in hospital, under guard,” The Guardian quoted Ceccaldi, as saying.
Mahmoudi served as Muammar Gaddafi`s prime minister from March 2006, till he fled to Tunisia in August 2011.
He was reportedly handed over to Libyan officials in Tunis on Sunday and flown by helicopter to a Libyan prison.
Ceccaldi claimed that Libyan Government’s assurances to offer Mahmoudi a fair trial were breached within hours of his arrival in Libya.
He alleges that his client was moved to a detention facility at Tripoli’s Mitiga military airport where the beating took place.
According to the paper, Libya’s Government has, however, denied torture had taken place.
Tripoli officials said reports of Mahmoudi being wounded were rumours, amounting to a ‘naked lie’.
“We would like to say it’s wrong, a naked lie … that he was attacked and is in a sort of coma. Al-Bagdadi al-Mahmoudi is in good health and he is in need of nothing, god willing,” the paper quoted Libyan government spokesman, Nassar el-Manaa, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday