Ex-Libyan PM `beaten’ on forced return from Tunisia
Tripoli: Libya`s former prime minister al-Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi was tortured and beaten on his forced return to Tripoli from Tunisia, his lawyer has claimed.
Marcel Ceccaldi, a French lawyer, said that Mahmoudi had been badly beaten by Libyan security officers and left with broken ribs and a punctured lung.
“According to the information I have, it seems that he has been beaten. He is in hospital, under guard,” The Guardian quoted Ceccaldi, as saying.
Mahmoudi served as Muammar Gaddafi`s prime minister from March 2006, till he fled to Tunisia in August 2011.
He was reportedly handed over to Libyan officials in Tunis on Sunday and flown by helicopter to a Libyan prison.
Ceccaldi claimed that Libyan Government’s assurances to offer Mahmoudi a fair trial were breached within hours of his arrival in Libya.
He alleges that his client was moved to a detention facility at Tripoli’s Mitiga military airport where the beating took place.
According to the paper, Libya’s Government has, however, denied torture had taken place.
Tripoli officials said reports of Mahmoudi being wounded were rumours, amounting to a ‘naked lie’.
“We would like to say it’s wrong, a naked lie … that he was attacked and is in a sort of coma. Al-Bagdadi al-Mahmoudi is in good health and he is in need of nothing, god willing,” the paper quoted Libyan government spokesman, Nassar el-Manaa, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender