Beijing: Fourteen people were injured on Friday when an explosion possibly caused by a gas leak in a restaurant in the Chinese capital resulted in the collapse of the building that housed the eatery.
The blast took place during breakfast time in the restaurant in Tongzhou District of Beijing?causing the building to collapse. People inside the building and also passers-by were injured.
Police said the blast was likely to have been triggered by kitchen gas. The injured were taken to the hospital.
Two people are in intensive care while 11 others have been discharged after receiving treatment, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Several other shops near the building were damaged by the explosion.
The cause of the explosion is being probed.