Five Brazilian cops arrested for journalists` murders
Brasilia: Five Brazilian police officers have been arrested for their suspected role in the murders of journalist Rodrigo Neto de Faria and press photographer Walgney Carvalho, the daily Folha de Sao Paulo said.
The five officers are members of the Civil Police in the region known as Vale do Aço in the central part of Minas Gerais state, and are suspected of belonging to militia groups that operate in the area, the newspaper said Saturday.
Rodrigo Neto, who worked for the Vale do Aço newspaper, was slain March 9 at the door of his home, and at the time was specifically working on an investigative report about the activities of those militias.
Carvalho, from the same newspaper, was shot dead April 14 at a restaurant.
Minas Gerais Police Chief Cylton Brandao declined to make any comment on the police who have been arrested.
The press watchdog group Reporters Without Borders, known by the French initials RSF, has slammed the murders and demanded that Brazilian authorities investigate the possible involvement of police in these cases.
After Carvalho`s death, RSF released a communique in which it also noted that the photographer was the fourth journalism professional murdered in Brazil to date in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?