Five Brazilian cops arrested for journalists` murders
Brasilia: Five Brazilian police officers have been arrested for their suspected role in the murders of journalist Rodrigo Neto de Faria and press photographer Walgney Carvalho, the daily Folha de Sao Paulo said.
The five officers are members of the Civil Police in the region known as Vale do Aço in the central part of Minas Gerais state, and are suspected of belonging to militia groups that operate in the area, the newspaper said Saturday.
Rodrigo Neto, who worked for the Vale do Aço newspaper, was slain March 9 at the door of his home, and at the time was specifically working on an investigative report about the activities of those militias.
Carvalho, from the same newspaper, was shot dead April 14 at a restaurant.
Minas Gerais Police Chief Cylton Brandao declined to make any comment on the police who have been arrested.
The press watchdog group Reporters Without Borders, known by the French initials RSF, has slammed the murders and demanded that Brazilian authorities investigate the possible involvement of police in these cases.
After Carvalho`s death, RSF released a communique in which it also noted that the photographer was the fourth journalism professional murdered in Brazil to date in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day