Floods kill 11 in northeastern Brazil
Brasilia: Authorities say 11 people have died and six are reported missing following a flood in the northeastern Bahia state.
Officials with Bahia`s Civil Defense emergency response agency say intense rains overnight Saturday to yesterday in the town of Lajedinho caused the floods, which also destroyed some 70 houses. Around 200 people have taken shelter in schools and a local gym.
Emergency response personnel were searching the flooded buildings for survivors, the missing and other possible victims today.
Brazil`s northeast is in the grips of the worst drought in a century, so the sudden downpour was particularly unexpected.
Lajedinho`s Mayor Antonio Mario Lima says about 4.7 inches (12 centimeters) of rain fell in a few hours. That`s the equivalent of two months of normal rainfall in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what