Floods kill 11 in northeastern Brazil
Brasilia: Authorities say 11 people have died and six are reported missing following a flood in the northeastern Bahia state.
Officials with Bahia`s Civil Defense emergency response agency say intense rains overnight Saturday to yesterday in the town of Lajedinho caused the floods, which also destroyed some 70 houses. Around 200 people have taken shelter in schools and a local gym.
Emergency response personnel were searching the flooded buildings for survivors, the missing and other possible victims today.
Brazil`s northeast is in the grips of the worst drought in a century, so the sudden downpour was particularly unexpected.
Lajedinho`s Mayor Antonio Mario Lima says about 4.7 inches (12 centimeters) of rain fell in a few hours. That`s the equivalent of two months of normal rainfall in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez