Floods kill 11 in northeastern Brazil
Brasilia: Authorities say 11 people have died and six are reported missing following a flood in the northeastern Bahia state.
Officials with Bahia`s Civil Defense emergency response agency say intense rains overnight Saturday to yesterday in the town of Lajedinho caused the floods, which also destroyed some 70 houses. Around 200 people have taken shelter in schools and a local gym.
Emergency response personnel were searching the flooded buildings for survivors, the missing and other possible victims today.
Brazil`s northeast is in the grips of the worst drought in a century, so the sudden downpour was particularly unexpected.
Lajedinho`s Mayor Antonio Mario Lima says about 4.7 inches (12 centimeters) of rain fell in a few hours. That`s the equivalent of two months of normal rainfall in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar