`Florida propane plant blast was likely accidental`
Orlando: A propane gas plant explosion in central Florida that injured seven workers, including at least three critically, was most likely caused by an accident, the fire chief for the town of Tavares said on Tuesday.
"We don`t think there was any act of sabotage or anything like that," the Orlando Sentinel quoted Fire Chief Richard Keith as saying. "It was probably a human or equipment error."
Dozens of explosions rocked the Blue Rhino plant in Tavares on Monday night, sending columns of flames into the sky. Blue Rhino is part of the Ferrellgas company and the plant in the town of Tavares northwest of Orlando takes old propane cylinders, refurbishes them and then refills and sells them.
There were about 53,000 20-gallon propane tanks on the site when a fire started, setting off a chain reaction of explosions. The three bulk tanks on the property — which hold 90,000 gallons of propane each — did not ignite in the fire, whose origin was undetermined, Keith said.
Of the seven workers injured, the three in critical condition from burns were taken to a hospital. About two dozen workers were in the plant when the explosions started and all have been accounted for, investigators said.
Residents living within a mile of the plant were evacuated after the fire started but were allowed to return about three hours later. Many initially thought they heard fireworks as cylinder after cylinder exploded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’