Former US congressman in hiding in South Africa
ohannesburg: Former US Rep Mel Reynolds says he is in hiding in South Africa following his deportation from Zimbabwe because he believes his life is in danger.
He told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that he believes he is being pursued by a secret Zimbabwean death squad because of information he has on American businessmen, especially from Chicago, who are doing business illegally with Zimbabwe.
He accused the Mugabe regime of "trumping up" pornography charges against him two weeks ago to discredit him.
He was arrested February 16 and after spending a few days in a Zimbabwean jail, the pornography charges were dropped on a technicality while he pleaded guilty to violating Zimbabwe`s immigration laws.
He was deported to South Africa on February 23 after paying a USD 100 fine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand