Four men jailed over Moscow airport bombing
Moscow: A Russian court jailed three men for life and one for 10 years on Monday over their role in a suicide bombing which killed 37 people at Moscow`s Domodedovo airport nearly three years ago.
Chechen warlord Doku Umarov says he ordered the attack on Jan. 24, 2011, as part of an Islamist insurgency against Russian rule of the North Caucasus and has urged supporters to attack the 2014 Winter Olympics in the Black Sea city of Sochi.
Brothers Islam and Ilez Yandiyev, Akhmed Yevloyev and Bashir Khamkhoyev were jailed for offences including commissioning an act of terror, murder and attempted murder.
Only Yevloyev did not receive a life sentence from the Moscow regional court, Russian news agencies said. Prosecutors had asked for a shorter term for him because he was a minor at the time of the attack.
State prosecutors said the four had helped the suicide bomber travel from their native region of Ingushetia in the North Caucasus to Moscow and providing him with an apartment, an explosives belt and transport.
Vladimir Putin sent troops to Chechnya to halt a separatist rebellion in 1999, when he was prime minister, but Russia still faces almost daily violence in the North Caucasus in his third term as president.
Umarov, the leader of Russia`s Islamist insurgency, has urged his fighters to use "maximum force" to sabotage the Winter Olympics in Sochi in February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door