France urges new Syria sanctions
Paris: France will ask the US and its European Union partners to impose new sanctions against the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said.
"We want to step up pressure on the Damascus regime by intensifying sanctions, which means that I will speak without delay to my European and American colleagues and propose that foreign ministers adopt a new series of sanctions at their next meeting," Fabius said.
"They should apply not only to Bashar al-Assad and his clique but also to military commanders."
At present, dozens of officials and organisations associated with Assad are under EU sanctions that include the freezing of assets and denial of visas.
The UN says at least 12,000 people have been killed in Syria since the uprising against the rule of Assad began in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’