Fresh clashes hit Syria; military deploys chopper
Damascus: Intensified clashes have hit the Syrian capital here afresh on Tuesday, according to BBC.
Rebel forces say they have launched an all-out assault on the capital, calling it Operation Damascus Volcano.
However, the military has deployed tanks and helicopters to deploy the pro-Assad demonstrators, activists said.
Shooting was reported in one of the main central streets and a square housing the Central Bank.
From the early hours, "regime forces used helicopters fitted with heavy machineguns to attack the (eastern Damascus) district of Qaboon," the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Witnesses also reported heavy machinegun fire in Sabaa Bahrat Square in the heart of Damascus.
Shooting was also reported in Baghdad Street, a main road near the square.
Earlier, rebels and troops clashed fiercely in the neighbourhoods of Al-Hajar al-Aswad and in Al-Midan, which is close to the Old City, witnesses said.
Also, Syria`s former ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al-Fares said, “the regime would not hesitate to use chemical weapons if it is cornered,” according to BBC reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!