Fresh clashes hit Syria; military deploys chopper
Damascus: Intensified clashes have hit the Syrian capital here afresh on Tuesday, according to BBC.
Rebel forces say they have launched an all-out assault on the capital, calling it Operation Damascus Volcano.
However, the military has deployed tanks and helicopters to deploy the pro-Assad demonstrators, activists said.
Shooting was reported in one of the main central streets and a square housing the Central Bank.
From the early hours, "regime forces used helicopters fitted with heavy machineguns to attack the (eastern Damascus) district of Qaboon," the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Witnesses also reported heavy machinegun fire in Sabaa Bahrat Square in the heart of Damascus.
Shooting was also reported in Baghdad Street, a main road near the square.
Earlier, rebels and troops clashed fiercely in the neighbourhoods of Al-Hajar al-Aswad and in Al-Midan, which is close to the Old City, witnesses said.
Also, Syria`s former ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al-Fares said, “the regime would not hesitate to use chemical weapons if it is cornered,” according to BBC reports.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan