German minister resigns amid plagiarism scandal
Berlin: German Education and Research Minister Annette Schavan has announced her resignation after she was stripped of her doctorate by a university amid accusations of plagiarism.
Spiegel Online described the minister as "one of German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s closest confidants".
The minister was stripped of her doctorate by the University of Dusseldorf earlier this week.
The university`s faculty council ruled that she committed "intentional deception through plagiarism" and "systematically and deliberately presented intellectual efforts throughout her entire dissertation that were not her own".
Schavan announced her resignation Saturday at a joint press conference with Merkel.
"Annette Schavan offered me her resignation," the German chancellor said, adding that she accepted the resignation with deep regret.
The minister, in her turn, said she "neither copied nor deceived" and will seek to review the decision. Her lawyers said they were preparing an appeal.
This is not the first time a member of the Merkel cabinet has resigned over plagiarism allegations.
In 2011, Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg stepped down after being accused of having plagiarised large sections of his doctorate thesis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17