German ship operator: Pirates kidnap 5 crew
Berlin: A German shipping company says pirates have kidnapped five crew members from one of its ships off the coast of West Africa.
Sunship Schiffahrtskontor KG says the captives, all Polish and Russian citizens, were seized Friday from the container ship City of Xiamen about 160 kms southwest of Bonnie Island, Nigeria.
The Emden-based company said in a statement on its website today that the rest of the crew continued to a safe port unharmed.
It is the second time in recent days that a German-operated ship has been targeted by pirates in the region. Hamburg-based Leonhardt and Blumberg said four crew members with Ukrainian, Kiribati and Russian citizenship were kidnapped on April 22 off the coast of Equatorial Guinea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump