Gunman robs doctors mid-surgery in Venezuela
Caracas: A man robbed a surgeon and his staff at gunpoint during a procedure being performed in the operating theater of a hospital in the central Venezuelan city of Maracay, making off with watches, cell phones and money, an official said.
The robber, pretending to be a patient, broke into the operating theater Thursday at Red Cross headquarters in Aragua, the head of the institution in that state, Juan Mario Gualano, told EFE.
"He (the robber) suddenly took out a gun, burst into the operating room and demanded the submission of the medical staff doing surgery on a patient," Gualano said, describing the incident as "a really crazy thing".
The assailant grabbed cell phones, watches and cash from the operating theater staff, who never interrupted the surgery.
"The patient is in stable condition, but imagine the crisis it put our medical personnel in, having to continue operating while being assaulted," the official said.
Gualano added that, according to patients` accounts, the individual talked on the phone with another person just before pulling out his gun, with which he also threatened patients in the ward and their relatives in the waiting room.
He said the assailant got away on a motorcycle and regretted that this was the second such incident here, after the one last year when his own son was hit with four bullets during an assault.
"Crime is out of control," Gualano said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!