Gunman robs doctors mid-surgery in Venezuela
Caracas: A man robbed a surgeon and his staff at gunpoint during a procedure being performed in the operating theater of a hospital in the central Venezuelan city of Maracay, making off with watches, cell phones and money, an official said.
The robber, pretending to be a patient, broke into the operating theater Thursday at Red Cross headquarters in Aragua, the head of the institution in that state, Juan Mario Gualano, told EFE.
"He (the robber) suddenly took out a gun, burst into the operating room and demanded the submission of the medical staff doing surgery on a patient," Gualano said, describing the incident as "a really crazy thing".
The assailant grabbed cell phones, watches and cash from the operating theater staff, who never interrupted the surgery.
"The patient is in stable condition, but imagine the crisis it put our medical personnel in, having to continue operating while being assaulted," the official said.
Gualano added that, according to patients` accounts, the individual talked on the phone with another person just before pulling out his gun, with which he also threatened patients in the ward and their relatives in the waiting room.
He said the assailant got away on a motorcycle and regretted that this was the second such incident here, after the one last year when his own son was hit with four bullets during an assault.
"Crime is out of control," Gualano said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!