Hillary says diplomacy with Iran not infinite
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said the time for diplomacy with Iran over its disputed nuclear programme is not "infinite".
"We want to see a peaceful resolution of the international community`s concerns, but the time for diplomacy is not infinite and all options remain on the table to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon," Hillary said at a joint press conference here Wednesday with Kosovo Prime Minister Hashim Thaci.
"Until Iran comes into compliance with its international obligations and demonstrates the peaceful intent of its nuclear programme, they will continue to face strong pressure and isolation," she said.
"So the sooner that we begin talks, the better it will be," Hillary noted, adding that EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton is still consulting with Iran on the time and venues of the upcoming talks.
Hillary made the remarks ahead of the upcoming talks between Iran and the six world powers, namely the US, Britain, France, Russia, and China, plus Germany, also known as G5+1, reported Xinhua.
She said Saturday in Saudi Arabia that the six world powers and Iran had agreed on meeting in Turkey`s Istanbul April 13.
But Iran`s Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi said Wednesday that China and Iraq are also considered by Tehran as the venues for the talks.
At the end of last year, US President Barack Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act, a part of which is aimed at choking off Iran`s crucial oil revenue by targeting its central bank and financial sector.
The law allows the Obama administration to slap sanctions on foreign banks that engage in oil transactions with Iran`s central bank and cut them off from the American financial system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India