Honduras sends peacekeeping troops to Haiti
Tegucigalpa: Honduras was sending a 37-member military contingent to Haiti later Wednesday to participate in peacekeeping efforts there, a military officer announced.
The troops will support general peacekeeping efforts as part of the framework of agreements that Honduras has signed with the UN, Xinhua quoted the chairman of the Honduran Armed Forces` Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Fredy Santiago Diaz, as saying on Wednesday in a statement.
"It makes us proud, knowing that Honduras is taken into account in forming these missions that are solely undertaken by professional soldiers," he said.
The peacekeeping troops from Honduras are to serve for a year in Haiti, which is affected by political turmoil and natural disasters such as a devastating 2010 earthquake that killed more than 200,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened