‘India should ensure implementation of Indo-US N-deal`
Washington: A senior Obama administartion
official has said that Indian should ensure the full
implementation of the India-US civil nuclear deal and that New
Delhi is aware about this but have not done it yet.
"The Indians know very well, how we feel about the
necessity to get these things done and they assure us that
they are but they are still not done," the Undersecretary of
State for Arms Control, Ellen Tauscher, told Washington-based
Defense Writers Group at a breakfast meeting.
"We are working closely with the Indian allies and
partners. There are a number of things, legislatively, that
they (India) have got to do including some of the indemnity
issues," said Tauscher, in response to a question.
Notably, Tauscher during the Bush Administration, as a
member of the Congress, was a key opponent of the deal but now
is in favor of its full implementation.
The issue had also came up for discussion when the Deputy
Secretary, William Burns, visited India recently.
In her hour long interaction with the Defense Writers
Group, Tauscher said that the US and Russia are expected to
conclude a missile defense cooperation agreement this year
which will be part of the "strategic stability" talks between
the two countries.
"We will get a missile defense agreement for cooperation
with Russia. I believe that missile defense is the metaphor
for the opportunity of getting things right (in the US-Russia
"It`s been an irritant in our relationship for 30 years.
It`s also the place where great European powers, including
Russia, can work together cooperatively," she said in response
to another query.
"Almost everything else that you work with on European
security has been settled, decided, and worked on together for
"The only thing that`s new where you can bring the
Russians in is missile defense. This is the place where we can
begin to put aside the Cold War and mutually assured
destruction and move toward mutually assured stability," she
Tauscher said the Russians are just like everybody else.
"They don`t like to be invited to a dinner party and
arrive during the dessert", she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!