India-Tajikistan to be connected by 14 weekly flights
Dushanbe: India and the mineral-rich central Asian country of Tajikistan will be connected by air for the first time, as over a dozen weekly flights will start soon in order to further people-to-people and trade contacts between the two nations.
As many as 14 flights will be made operational by a Tajik private air carrier to connect both the countries from May this year, an Indian Foreign Ministry official said.
"There will be 14 flights a week between India and Tajikistan. The flights will be operated by Somon Air starting May," the official said.
Somon Air is the first private airline of Tajikistan, and operates flights to over 20 locations.
The decision was taken during Vice President Hamid Ansari`s visit to Tajikistan, where he held a series of meetings with Tajik leadership.
India will also discuss possibility of roping in Indian private and government-owned air carriers to run commercial flights to connect Delhi with Dushanbe, the official said.
"There is a huge potential to increase trade between India and Tajikistan. At present, it is very low due to poor connectivity. The decision to have air-connectivity will help in bolstering commercial relations," he said.
"Should any of this be a matter of surprise after we have noted, and digested, the fact that the distance from Delhi to Dushanbe is 1,369 km while it is 1,394 km from Delhi to Mumbai on India`s west coast and 2,244 km from Delhi to Thiruvananthapuram in our southernmost state of Kerala," Ansari has said during his four-day visit to Tajikistan.
The total trade between India and Tajikistan was USD 34.16 million between 2012-13 (April-December).
Tajikistan is a land-locked country, surrounded by mountains. The central Asian country lacks an easy route to India for trade and the existing links via Iran and other countries are expensive.
Tajikistan is also in talks with Afghanistan and Pakistan for creation of a common corridor to India in order to easily facilitate trade.=
It shares a 520-km border with China, 1,420-km with Afghanistan and a 16-km Afghan-Wakhan corridor, which is the least distance between Tajikistan and Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK).
India and Tajikistan have agreed to strengthen their relations in energy sector, Information Technology, health, education and in the establishment of small and micro industries in Tajikistan during Ansari`s visit between April 14-17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra