Indian-origin student appointed Student Regent at US varsity
Houston: Indian-origin student Asit Shah has been appointed by Texas Governor Rick Perry as University of Houston`s new Student Regent to serve a one year term.
As Student Regent, Shah will serve on the Boards Academic and Student Success Committee, and Facilities, Construction and Master Planning Committee.
Shah, replaces outgoing Student Regent Benjamin Wells, whose term recently expired.
"The University of Houston System is growing and continuously meeting new benchmarks," Shah said.
"My primary focus will be to continue supporting the growth of the System institutions and to support initiatives that strengthen student success."
Shah is majoring in both finance and supply chain management.
He also is a student in the University`s Honours College.
At UH, he is a member of the Energy Association and a co-coordinator for the Honor`s Advocates, a volunteer organisation that recruits and welcomes new students to UH?s Honours community.
He also has served on the Undergraduate Admissions Review Committee.
"More than anything, I am excited to serve UH System students in this capacity," he said.
"My grandfather immigrated to the US from India back in the 1970s to pursue graduate studies in civil engineering at UH. Now, I am here. This opportunity is a way for me to give back to the UH System and to help create a bright future for generations to come."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency