Indian-origin woman walks free in fraud case in UK
London: An Indian-origin woman in the UK accused of conspiring with a former police officer to steal and sell accident victims` details has walked free after a jury failed to reach a verdict.
Paramjeet Kaur, 26, was charged with conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office with her husband Raza Khan and his lover, ex-police officer Sugra Hanif.
Khan and Hanif were found guilty on Thursday at Winchester Crown Court.
Hanif, a former Thames Valley Police officer, would access her work computer and note the personal details of members of the public involved in road accidents, the trial heard earlier.
Khan, 27, and Kaur, both of Ivy Road, Handsworth, Birmingham, set up case management companies to sell this information to firms of solicitors who would pay them a referral fee for each case that led to a successful compensation claim, prosecutor Peter Asteris said.
The jury heard the conspiracy, which began in January 2011, could have netted the trio more than 1 million pound.
Khan and Kaur claimed they did not know the data was illegal.
Judge Barnett told Hanif and Khan they faced "substantial custodial sentences" when they are sentenced on March 7.
Judge Andrew Barnett gave the Crown Prosecution Service a week to consider a retrial request for Kaur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!