‘IRA dissidents pose threat to London Olympics’
London: The London Olympics is at risk from a terror attack by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) group, according to Britain’s Intelligence.
According to The Sun, Britain’s Intelligence and Security Committee said that spy agencies are under ‘unprecedented pressure’ to prevent any kind of terror threat by republican hardliners and al Qaeda groups.
The government had said that it would deploy 3,500 extra troops on top of the 13,500 agreed after a private security firm failed to provide enough guards for the Olympics, which begins on July 27.
The ISC said that al Qaeda and its affiliated groups, along with groups opposed to the Northern Ireland Peace Process, posed the most significant threat.
Committee Chairman Malcolm Rifkind said: “The Security Service has reprioritized its work to enable them to counter potential threats from al Qaeda and its affiliates, (Irish) republican dissidents, hostile states and others in the run-up to or during the Games”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video