‘IRA dissidents pose threat to London Olympics’
London: The London Olympics is at risk from a terror attack by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) group, according to Britain’s Intelligence.
According to The Sun, Britain’s Intelligence and Security Committee said that spy agencies are under ‘unprecedented pressure’ to prevent any kind of terror threat by republican hardliners and al Qaeda groups.
The government had said that it would deploy 3,500 extra troops on top of the 13,500 agreed after a private security firm failed to provide enough guards for the Olympics, which begins on July 27.
The ISC said that al Qaeda and its affiliated groups, along with groups opposed to the Northern Ireland Peace Process, posed the most significant threat.
Committee Chairman Malcolm Rifkind said: “The Security Service has reprioritized its work to enable them to counter potential threats from al Qaeda and its affiliates, (Irish) republican dissidents, hostile states and others in the run-up to or during the Games”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!