Iran arrests man on charges of spying for Britain
Tehran: Iran`s media says authorities have arrested a man on charges of spying for Britain.
The semiofficial ISNA news agency said today the man was arrested in the town of Kerman in southeastern Iran after authorities spent months tracking him down.
A Kerman judiciary official, who was not named by ISNA, said the man had exchanged information with four British intelligence operatives. The man has not been identified but the report says he is currently standing trial and has confessed.
Iran periodically announces the arrest of alleged foreign agents. Often few further details are released.
The arrest comes as Iran and Britain are patching up ties following the election of moderate President Hassan Rouhani in June. The British Embassy in Tehran was closed in late 2011 after hardliners overran the building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker