Iran arrests man on charges of spying for Britain
Tehran: Iran`s media says authorities have arrested a man on charges of spying for Britain.
The semiofficial ISNA news agency said today the man was arrested in the town of Kerman in southeastern Iran after authorities spent months tracking him down.
A Kerman judiciary official, who was not named by ISNA, said the man had exchanged information with four British intelligence operatives. The man has not been identified but the report says he is currently standing trial and has confessed.
Iran periodically announces the arrest of alleged foreign agents. Often few further details are released.
The arrest comes as Iran and Britain are patching up ties following the election of moderate President Hassan Rouhani in June. The British Embassy in Tehran was closed in late 2011 after hardliners overran the building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened