Iran `flailing` for friends in Latin America: US
Washington: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s upcoming four-nation tour of Latin America is a sign of desperation as sanctions increasingly isolate his country, the Obama administration said, as it warned the leader`s hosts against expanding ties with Iran.
The State Department on Friday dismissed Ahmadinejad`s planned visits to Venezuela, Nicaragua, Cuba and Ecuador next week as Iran "flailing" for new friends as the sanctions bite. Some lawmakers have expressed deep concern that Iran is boosting its presence in the Western Hemisphere to the detriment of US national security interests.
"As the regime feels increasing pressure, it is desperate for friends and flailing around in interesting places to find new friends," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters. "We are making absolutely clear to countries around the world that now is not the time to be deepening ties, not security ties, not economic ties, with Iran."
"Rather, it`s in the entire international community`s interest to make clear to Iran that it`s got a choice," she said. "It can remain in an international isolation, or it can comply with its obligations and start cooperating and rejoin the community of nations."
Nuland said Iran must stop defying international pressure to prove that its nuclear program is peaceful and that countries must make it clear that the only way to end its isolation is to come clean about its atomic ambitions. The US and its allies accuse Iran of trying to develop atomic weapons under the cover of a civilian nuclear energy program. Iran denies the charge.
Ahmadinejad has courted leftist, populist and anti-US Latin American leaders for some time, notably Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega. During his stop next week in Managua, Ahmadinejad is to attend Ortega`s inauguration. The US will be represented at the ceremony by a mid-ranking diplomat from the US embassy, officials said.
In Venezuela, Chavez said on Friday that Ahmadinejad is coming to the region despite tensions in the Persian Gulf.
"The Yankees are determined to provoke wars, provoke tensions," Chavez said on television during a visit to the central state of Portuguesa.
Chavez said the "central purpose" of Ahmadinejad`s visit is to attend Ortega`s inauguration in Nicaragua.
Ahmadinejad`s visit to Washington`s backyard has raised eyebrows on Capitol Hill where the chairwoman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Rep Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Florida, likened it to a "tour of tyrants" that is proof of Iran`s expanding interest in the region.
"Ahmadinejad`s desire to strengthen ties with anti-American dictators and expand Iranian influence in the Western Hemisphere directly threatens US security interests," she said in a statement.
"This is a threat which we cannot ignore," Ros-Lehtinen said, pledging to hold hearings on the matter to discuss what the administration is doing to counter Iranian outreach in the Western Hemisphere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday