Iran starts six-day naval drill
Moscow: The Iranian Navy Friday launched a six-day naval exercise that would rehearse border protection and piracy control operations, the Irna news agency reported.
The drill, dubbed Velayat 91, will be carried out in the Strait of Hormuz, the Sea of Oman, north of the Indian Ocean, the Gulf of Aden and the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait, Navy commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said.
The aim of the drill was to "convey a message of peace and friendship to neighbouring states", Sayyari said.
He said Velayat 91 also sends a message to Iran`s enemies that the country takes defending its vital interests very seriously.
During the drill, Iran`s 23rd Fleet, comprising the Bushehr warship and the Jamaran destroyer, will escort Iran`s merchant vessels and oil tankers as part of the navy`s anti-piracy mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!