Iran starts six-day naval drill
Moscow: The Iranian Navy Friday launched a six-day naval exercise that would rehearse border protection and piracy control operations, the Irna news agency reported.
The drill, dubbed Velayat 91, will be carried out in the Strait of Hormuz, the Sea of Oman, north of the Indian Ocean, the Gulf of Aden and the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait, Navy commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said.
The aim of the drill was to "convey a message of peace and friendship to neighbouring states", Sayyari said.
He said Velayat 91 also sends a message to Iran`s enemies that the country takes defending its vital interests very seriously.
During the drill, Iran`s 23rd Fleet, comprising the Bushehr warship and the Jamaran destroyer, will escort Iran`s merchant vessels and oil tankers as part of the navy`s anti-piracy mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!