Iran supplied Gaza with weapons: Hamas leader
Cairo: Iran supplied Gaza militants with weapons, Khaled Meshaal, the political leader of Islamist group Hamas, has said.
"The weapons of Palestinian resistance were partially manufactured inside the Gaza Strip, and the rest were supplied by certain countries, including Iran," Meshaal told journalists in Cairo after a ceasefire was agreed between Israel and Hamas.
The Hamas leader said Tehran had supported Gaza militants with arms "even despite differences between Iran and Hamas on issues connected with the conflict in Syria".
Meshaal said the Palestinians will now seek to unite their ranks and management structures in Gaza and on the West Bank.
An Egyptian-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hamas came into effect at 7.00 p.m. Wednesday. Both the Israel Defence Forces and the Islamist group praised the deal, in line with which, Israel has to end hostilities and targeted killings in the Gaza Strip, and Hamas has to stop launching rockets into Israel.
The Israel defence forces said they have completed objectives for its Operation Pillar of Defense against the Gaza Strip, a Palestinian enclave of 1.7 million that has been governed by Hamas since 2007.
The operation started Nov 14 with an airstrike that eliminated the head of the military wing of Hamas, Ahmed Jabari. The airstrike came after a reported surge in rocket attacks on Israeli border towns from Gaza.
About 160 Palestinians have died in Israel`s eight-day air and naval attack on Gaza. Five Israelis have been killed in the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Coal scam: Rathi Steel, 3 officials convicted; quantum of sentence to be declared today
- Alarm bells for Nawaz Sharif! Huge protests rock PoK, locals allege ISI rigged polls in favour of PML(N)
- Chill guys! There's still time for Deepika Padukone, Fawad Khan film
- Rio Olympics 2016: Narsingh Yadav's fate hangs in balance as NADA takes final decision today
- Kejriwal, Mamata to attend Mother Teresa's canonization in Rome on Sept 4