Iran to unveil `advanced` cruise missile
Tehran: A senior Iranian Defence Ministry official announced on Sunday that his ministry plans to unveil a highly advanced cruise missile.
"God willing, Meshkat (Lantern) cruise missile with a range of 2,000 km will be unveiled in the near future," Deputy Defence Minister and head of the ministry`s Aerospace Organisation General Mehdi Farahi told the semi-official Fars news agency on Sunday, reported Xinhua.
"Meshkat Cruise Missile can be fired from land, air and sea," Farahi was quoted as saying.
According to the report, Iran`s former cruise missile can travel a distance of no more than 300 km.
In August, the Iranian defence minister announced that Iran had "successfully" test-fired a 300 km-range missile.
In July, the Iranian Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) staged a three-day missile drill and its aerospace division commander Amir Ali Hajizadeh said in the drill, dubbed "Great Prophet 7”, more than 100 hypothesized spots in the central desert region of the country were targeted by various kinds of missiles.
Hajizadeh said that Iran`s missiles could hit the US military bases in neighbouring countries.
He said that all the US bases in the region were within the reach of Iran`s missiles and Iranian missiles could also easily reach Israel.
Iranian commanders have warned that Iran would give firm response to any military attack against the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India