Iran vows to hunt down more US spy planes
Tehran: A senior Iranian military official has warned that Tehran would hunt down more US surveillance drones if America continues to ‘violate its air space’.
Admiral Ali Shamkhani, Iran`s former defence minister, said Iran would not remain inactive to future incursions by foreign surveillance drones.
“If US spy planes continue their aggression, we won`t be idle. We will continue to hunt down their spy planes,” a TV channel quoted him, as saying.
The comments came in response to US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta’s remarks that the United States will continue to conduct intelligence operations such as the one that led to the loss of its RQ-170 Sentinel over Iran.
Shamkhani claimed the fact that Iran brought down the pilotless surveillance aircraft nearly intact proves his nation`s technological prowess.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran`s capture of this spy drone shows the high capabilities of our armed forces,” he said.
Iran has claimed that its armed forces brought down the US spy drone after it was detected flying over the eastern town of Kashmar, some 140 miles from the Afghan border.
American officials, however, said that US intelligence assessments indicate that Iran neither shot the drone down, nor used electronic or cybertechnology to force it from the sky. They contend the drone malfunctioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC