Iranian warplane moved against US drone: Pentagon
Washington: Iranian fighter jets had moved towards an unarmed US military drone carrying classified surveillance over international waters in Arabian Gulf, the Pentagon has said.
On March 12, an unarmed, unmanned MQ-1 US military aircraft conducting a routine classified surveillance flight over international waters in the Arabian Gulf was approached by an Iranian F-4 aircraft, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said yesterday.
The closest point of approach between these aircraft was approximately 16 miles, he added.
The MQ-1 was escorted by two US military aircraft and all US aircrafts remained over international waters at all times, Little said, adding that the Iranian aircraft departed after a verbal warning, he said.
"Following the incident last November where an Iranian fighter aircraft fired upon an unarmed, unmanned MQ-1, the US communicated to the Iranians that we will continue to conduct surveillance flights over international waters consistent with long-standing practice and our commitment to the security of the region," Little said.
"We also communicated that we reserve the right to protect our military assets as well as our forces and will continue to do so going forward," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why