`Iranians, we love you`: Israeli Facebook page
Jerusalem: A new Facebook initiative has been launched by Israelis to reach out to Iranians to show them that despite tensions, the majority of Israelis do not want war.
The "Iranians, we love you" Facebook page has garnered around 18,000 "likes" after less than a week since Roni Edris and Michal Tamir, a couple from Tel Aviv, launched the group on the popular social media website.
"It just started as a post on Facebook on my private page and it was a picture of me and my daughter, with a poster I designed that read `Iranians we love you, we`ll never bomb your country`," Edris, a father of two, told Xinhua.
"I never imagined it would grow such much and get so much attention. I`m a graphic designer, so it just popped on my head and I posted it, and asked my friends about it," he said.
When he first posted the picture on his personal Facebook page, many of his friends reprimanded him.
"In the beginning, my friends were saying how can you say you love Iranians, you don`t even know them. They said war is coming, and telling the other part `I love you` is a weakness sign, but I think we have to stop this war madness somehow," Edris said.
He considers himself a common Israeli citizen, who is interested in peace and who does not share his government`s take on Iran.
"Why this war with Iran? I wanted to tell these people I don`t know them, but that we`re brothers and we don`t have to share this madness."
Edris, who owns a small graphic design school in Tel Aviv, now works almost entirely on his peace enterprise along with his wife.
The success of his idea has taken him completely by surprise, especially since he began receiving hundreds of letters from Iranians, living in Iran and abroad.
He now gets dozens of messages from Iranians sharing their love for Israelis.
One message from Darius from Iran read: "There is no reason for not being united, we love you Israeli people."
Another message from someone claiming to be an Iranian from Germany called blamed both the governments, saying: "Our problem is that we are all victims of corrupted politicians in our countries."
Edris, however, does not know what the next step will be.
"Now we`re trying to focus on this and since we have the media`s attention, our message has reached out to a lot of people. A nuclear war is not going to happen one day to the other, and maybe if the message is big, the guy who`s pushing the button will listen to us," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes