Iraq executes 14 in one day, 65 this year
Baghdad: Iraq executed 14 people on a single
day this week, most of them al Qaeda members, a senior justice
ministry official said on Wednesday, bringing to at least 65
the number of executions so far this year.
"Fourteen Iraqis were executed yesterday (Tuesday)," the
official said, asking not to be named. "They were convicted of
terrorism and other crimes committed in 2006 and 2007."
"Most of them are from al Qaeda, among them the wali
(leader) of Mosul," the official said.
That brings the number of people executed in the first
six weeks of this year close to the total of 68 for all of
Iraq executed 17 people on January 31, Justice Minister
Hassan al-Shammari was quoted in a statement as saying.
And last month, ministry spokesman Haidar al-Saadi said
Iraq had so far executed 34 people this year, including two
women and a Syrian.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay has
expressed shock at the number of executions, criticising the
lack of transparency in court proceedings and calling for an
immediate suspension of the death penalty.
"I call on the government of Iraq to implement an
immediate moratorium on the institution of the death penalty,"
"Even if the most scrupulous fair trial standards were
observed, this would be a terrifying number of executions to
take place in a single day," said Pillay, a South African high
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read