Iraq hangs seven to death for terrorism
Baghdad: Seven people have been executed over terror charges, the Iraqi government said on Sunday.
"The executions were carried out today by hanging seven terrorists in accordance with Article 4 from the anti-terrorism law," Xinhua quoted the country`s Justice Ministry as saying.
The convicts were involved in crimes of killings and bomb attacks against Iraqi citizens, it said.
The increasing of executions in Iraq sparked calls by the UN mission in Iraq, the European Union and some international human rights groups to stop Baghdad`s use of capital punishment, criticising the lack of transparency in the proceedings of the country`s courts.
Death penalty in Iraq was suspended for over a year after the US-led invasion. Paul Bremer, then US administrator for Iraq, had suspended its use in 2003. The Iraqi government, however, reinstated it in August 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony