Iraq hangs seven to death for terrorism
Baghdad: Seven people have been executed over terror charges, the Iraqi government said on Sunday.
"The executions were carried out today by hanging seven terrorists in accordance with Article 4 from the anti-terrorism law," Xinhua quoted the country`s Justice Ministry as saying.
The convicts were involved in crimes of killings and bomb attacks against Iraqi citizens, it said.
The increasing of executions in Iraq sparked calls by the UN mission in Iraq, the European Union and some international human rights groups to stop Baghdad`s use of capital punishment, criticising the lack of transparency in the proceedings of the country`s courts.
Death penalty in Iraq was suspended for over a year after the US-led invasion. Paul Bremer, then US administrator for Iraq, had suspended its use in 2003. The Iraqi government, however, reinstated it in August 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Pranab Mukherjee sets off on 4-day visit to China today
- Will Mika Singh's guest appearance on 'The Kapil Sharma Show' cost him 'Comedy Nights LIVE'?
- Bihar road rage: Manorama Devi's bail plea postponed
- ‘Just married’ Bipasha Basu’s response to Raj Kundra’s ‘family planning’ question is epic!
- Delhi wakes to cool morning after rain, thunderstorm bring down mercury