Iraq hangs seven to death for terrorism
Baghdad: Seven people have been executed over terror charges, the Iraqi government said on Sunday.
"The executions were carried out today by hanging seven terrorists in accordance with Article 4 from the anti-terrorism law," Xinhua quoted the country`s Justice Ministry as saying.
The convicts were involved in crimes of killings and bomb attacks against Iraqi citizens, it said.
The increasing of executions in Iraq sparked calls by the UN mission in Iraq, the European Union and some international human rights groups to stop Baghdad`s use of capital punishment, criticising the lack of transparency in the proceedings of the country`s courts.
Death penalty in Iraq was suspended for over a year after the US-led invasion. Paul Bremer, then US administrator for Iraq, had suspended its use in 2003. The Iraqi government, however, reinstated it in August 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30