Iraq hangs seven to death for terrorism
Baghdad: Seven people have been executed over terror charges, the Iraqi government said on Sunday.
"The executions were carried out today by hanging seven terrorists in accordance with Article 4 from the anti-terrorism law," Xinhua quoted the country`s Justice Ministry as saying.
The convicts were involved in crimes of killings and bomb attacks against Iraqi citizens, it said.
The increasing of executions in Iraq sparked calls by the UN mission in Iraq, the European Union and some international human rights groups to stop Baghdad`s use of capital punishment, criticising the lack of transparency in the proceedings of the country`s courts.
Death penalty in Iraq was suspended for over a year after the US-led invasion. Paul Bremer, then US administrator for Iraq, had suspended its use in 2003. The Iraqi government, however, reinstated it in August 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof