Iraqi minister escapes assassination attempt
Baghdad: Iraqi Finance Minister Rafi al-Issawi, locked in a dispute with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, has survived an apparent assassination attempt, Al Jazeera reported.
Issawi`s office and security sources told the channel that the minister`s convoy was hit by a roadside bomb between the towns of Fallujah and Abu Gharib, west of Baghdad, Sunday.
The explosion came amid a political crisis between the Shia prime minister and his mainly Sunni coalition partners in the government.
"A roadside bomb exploded near his convoy. His car was not hit and he is safe, but two guards were wounded," the minister`s office said.
Issawi, who has publicly called for Maliki to be replaced, has been one of the central figures in protests by minority Sunnis against the Shia-dominated government after his bodyguards were arrested on terrorism charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan