Irish panel to hear submissions on drafting new abortion laws
London: More than two months after an Indian dentist died in Ireland after being refused termination of an unviable pregnancy, a committee set up by the Irish Parliament is set to hear submissions from medical and legal experts and religious leaders on drafting new abortion laws.
The Republic of Ireland`s stringent anti-abortion laws re-ignited protests and debate after 31-year-old Savita Halappanavar died at University Hospital Galway in October, 2012.
The family of the the dentist, who was 17 weeks pregnant, says her death was avoidable as she had asked for an abortion several times before she died.
Ireland`s Fine Gael-Labour coalition has said it would bring in legislation and regulation on the issue by the middle of this year.
It has set up an Oiraechtas or Parliamentary committee, chaired by the ruling centre-right party Fine Gael, to gather information to help the government draft the bill.
More than 40 witnesses, including medical and legal experts and religious leaders, will address the committee at the public sessions over the next three days, beginning from today.
Following the consultation, the government is expected to allow a pregnancy to be terminated where there is a risk to the life of a mother as distinct from a risk to her health.
The credible threat of suicide by a pregnant woman would also be considered grounds for an abortion.
The Church of Ireland remains strongly opposed to these moves and has planned meetings with government representatives over the next few weeks on the issue.
The country`s Catholic archbishops have claimed the new laws would "pave the way for the direct and intentional killing of unborn children."
In marked contrast in the UK, doctors are applying for a court order to allow them to carry out an abortion on a mentally disabled woman without her consent.
The woman, who is not being named for legal reasons, suffers from sickle cell disease which has already caused her to have a string of strokes.
The medical team treating her says they are concerned that allowing her pregnancy to continue any further could endanger her life.
The Court of Protection here has "life or death" powers over those judged to be incapable of making decisions about their health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi