Islamic State chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has died, claims Radio Iran
Tehran: In what could deal a severe jolt to the extremist organisation Islamic State, Radio Iran has claimed that ISIS caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has died.
According to a tweet by the All India Radio (AIR), Baghdadi's death claim has been made by Radio Iran.
Leader of the #ISIS terrorist group Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has died: Radio Iran
— All India Radio News (@airnewsalerts) April 27, 2015
It can be noted that a Guardian report last week claimed that Baghdadi had received serious 'life-threatening' injuries during a US-led airstrike in March and that the strike had left him seriously wounded.
The report added that Baghdadi was no more in control of daily operations of ISIS as he had not been able to recover.
However, there were similar reports of Baghdadi being "seriously injured" in US-led air strikes last year, but they were not confirmed.
The Pentagon had refuted the latest report of Baghdadi being injured, saying there was no evidence to prove that the ISIS chief had suffered injuries when the US-led coalition planes bombarded the al-Baaj a district of Nineveh, near Syrian border on March 18.
The ISIS overran a huge swathe of Iraq and Syria in June last year and established the so-called “Islamic State” across occupied areas and anointed Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi as its caliph.
Declaring the Caliphate, Baghdadi who rarely makes public appearances, appeared at a mosque in July, demanding all Muslims to pledge allegiance to him.
The US has imposed a bounty worth $10 million on the al-Baghdadi's head.
Despite a spate of coalition strikes on ISIS in Iraq and Syria since August last year, the extremists continue to advance and unleash bloodshed and terror.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you