Israel grounds fighter jets after midair near-collision
Jerusalem: The Israel Air Force (IAF) on Sunday grounded all fighter jet squadrons after a midair near-collision last week capped a series of serious accidents over the last year.
IAF chief Maj Gen Amir Eshel imposed the order after two aircraft almost collided on Thursday, Xinhua reported citing Israel Radio. Investigators said the two planes exceeded the mandatory "safety envelope" during manoeuvres.
An Israeli Air Force source said the near-miss was due to "pilot error".
While regular operations and flights would continue, instructors were ordered to refresh fighter squadron pilots on adhering to air safety procedures and policies during mock air combat before taking back to the skies on Monday.
The Israeli Air Force has suffered from a number of deadly accidents and safety incidents in the last few years, including an emergency landing by a fighter jet and refuelling plane earlier this year when the fuel hose hit and cracked the war plane`s canopy.
The squadrons were grounded for two days last year after a fighter jet clipped a tree while landing at a northern airbase. The pilot was able to land the aircraft despite the damage, according to The Times of Israel news site.
In July, 2010, an Israeli Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion crashed while on a training flight in Romania`s Carpathian mountains, during a joint Romanian-Israeli military exercise.
Four Israeli pilots, two Israeli aircraft mechanics and a Romanian liaison officer were killed when the helicopter slammed into a fog-shrouded mountain. Results of a probe showed that the accident was most likely due to pilot error.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof