Israel okays 50 Jerusalem homes for Holocaust survivors
Jerusalem: Israel`s Housing Minister Uri Ariel on Tuesday said that 50 new homes would be built in annexed east Jerusalem to house Holocaust survivors.
"These 50 homes, which will be added to those existing homes for the elderly in east Talpiot, will be earmarked for Holocaust survivors," he told public radio in an announcement made the day after Israel marked Holocaust Memorial Day.
Ariel is number two in the hardline pro-settler Jewish Home party and he himself lives in a settlement.
The announcement was made shortly before US Secretary of State John Kerry met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for talks at the tail-end of a three-day visit.
Last month, Netanyahu reportedly ordered all bureaucratic approvals of new settler homes be suspended until after a visit by US President Barack Obama on March 20 in a bid to avoid embarrassing the political establishment.
Exactly three years ago, Netanyahu`s government was deeply embarrassed after the interior ministry announced plans to build 1,600 settler homes in east Jerusalem during a visit by US Vice President Joe Biden.
The move triggered an unusually stern rebuke from Washington, which described the timing of the announcement as "insulting".
Israel captured the eastern half of the city during the 1967 Six Day War and later annexed it in a move never recognised internationally. It claims the entire city as its "eternal, undivided capital" and does not view construction in the east as settlement building.
The Palestinians want east Jerusalem as capital of their future state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire