Israel PM urges European `fairness` in Mideast
Davos: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called on Europe on Thurssday to demonstrate fairness in its Middle East policy, after a spat over settlements blew up last week.
Speaking to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Netanyahu said Europe could make a positive contribution in the Middle East but warned that it could also have a "negative effect."
"If Europe is seen to be one-sided and if Europe is seen to be unfairly pressing on Israel, it hardens the Palestinian position and coincidentally it hardens the Israeli position because people respond that way to these kinds of undue pressures," Netanyahu told Davos delegates.
"I think if Europe maintains its fairness and its balance, I think it can contribute a great deal," he added.
Netanyahu`s comments came after a diplomatic row sparked by four EU states lodging a formal protest against Tel Aviv`s drive to expand settlements on the West Bank.
Last Friday, Israel called in the ambassadors of the countries concerned -- Britain, France, Italy and Spain -- and accused Europe of a "hypocritical" attitude towards the Middle East process.
Netanyahu said he would be holding talks on Friday with US Secretary of State John Kerry on the Middle East peace process and reiterated his desire for peace.
"I`m ready for peace. I`m ready for a real, secure, genuine peace and I hope that (Palestinian) President (Mahmud) Abbas is too, because if he is, I`m sure our American friends will only help," the Israeli prime minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!