Israel shelves contentious bill on choosing judges
Jerusalem: An aide to Israel`s Prime Minister says he has frozen a bill that critics said would let governing nationalists stack the committee that selects Supreme Court judges.
The official says Benjamin Netanyahu took action after Israel`s attorney-general told him the bill was legally "problematic”.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity on Thursday because he was not authorised to disclose the information.
Critics said the bill compromised the Supreme Court`s independence.
The bill sought to disqualify two lawyers elected by the Israel Bar Association from serving on the committee that appoints the court`s justices.
Bill sponsors want other lawyers to serve on the panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!
- Usher announces new album 'Hard II Love'