Israel shelves contentious bill on choosing judges
Jerusalem: An aide to Israel`s Prime Minister says he has frozen a bill that critics said would let governing nationalists stack the committee that selects Supreme Court judges.
The official says Benjamin Netanyahu took action after Israel`s attorney-general told him the bill was legally "problematic”.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity on Thursday because he was not authorised to disclose the information.
Critics said the bill compromised the Supreme Court`s independence.
The bill sought to disqualify two lawyers elected by the Israel Bar Association from serving on the committee that appoints the court`s justices.
Bill sponsors want other lawyers to serve on the panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?