‘Israel will face fierce retaliation if Iran is attacked’
Tehran: Israel will ‘definitely’ face fierce retaliation if it attacks Iranian nuclear sites, the acting commander of Iran`s powerful Revolutionary Guard warned on Thursday.
The remarks by Gen Hossein Salami appear to be part of Iranian efforts to portray any strike against it as the trigger for a regional conflict that could draw in Iranian proxies, such as Lebanon`s militant Hezbollah group, on Israel`s borders.
Iran`s suspect nuclear programme has topped the international agenda and pressures on Tehran are mounting.
Israel has threatened to strike Iran`s nuclear facilities if Tehran doesn`t stop uranium enrichment a process that can be a pathway to nuclear arms.
The West and its allies fear Iran`s ambitions mask a pursuit of atomic weapons, a charge Tehran denies, saying its nuclear program is only for peaceful purposes such as power generation and cancer treatment.
Salami was quoted by the semi-official ISNA news agency as saying Iran has prepared for "global battles."
"An attack by the Zionist regime would be an opportunity to destroy that regime," he said, speaking of Israel. "Their defense mechanism is not planned for big and long wars. Their threats are only psychological and if they cross the limit or act upon those threats, (Israel) will definitely be destroyed."
Salami spoke on the sidelines of urban combat drills in Tehran by some 15,000 paramilitary fighters known as Basiji, who are controlled by the Revolutionary Guard.
The exercises were dubbed ‘Ila Beit ol Moqaddas’ or Toward the Holy City, meaning Jerusalem. The war games include drills on defending against mock air raids and other threats. "We have prepared our security and defence infrastructures for global and big battles," Salami said. "There is no failure in our defence system."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore