Italian soldier killed, 3 wounded in Afghan attack
Rome: An Italian soldier was killed and three others were wounded on Saturday after their armoured vehicle was attacked in western Afghanistan, the defence ministry and the military said.
The vehicle was returning to the Farah base when it was attacked "by enemy elements" at 10:30 am local time, according to a statement issued by the military chiefs of staff in Rome.
Italy is scaling back its involvement in the war in Afghanistan and plans to pull out its 4,000 troops, which are part of NATO`s US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), by the end of 2014.
At least 53 Italian soldiers have so far died in the 11-year conflict, according to an AFP count.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed