Italian soldier killed, 3 wounded in Afghan attack
Rome: An Italian soldier was killed and three others were wounded on Saturday after their armoured vehicle was attacked in western Afghanistan, the defence ministry and the military said.
The vehicle was returning to the Farah base when it was attacked "by enemy elements" at 10:30 am local time, according to a statement issued by the military chiefs of staff in Rome.
Italy is scaling back its involvement in the war in Afghanistan and plans to pull out its 4,000 troops, which are part of NATO`s US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), by the end of 2014.
At least 53 Italian soldiers have so far died in the 11-year conflict, according to an AFP count.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'