Italy: Bid to hold CIA chief rejected by Panama
Panama City: Italy`s justice minister says her country formally asked Panama to hold an ex-CIA base chief convicted of illegally abducting a terrorism suspect, and adds that she "deeply regrets" Panama`s decision to let him return to the US.
Annamaria Cancellieri says in a statement that Italy asked Panama to hold Robert Seldon Lady, and the request was "rejected without plausible explanation."
Panamanian Public Safety Minister Jose Mulino said Friday that Seldon Lady was freed from detention and sent to the US because Italy didn`t formally request his extradition within the allotted 48 hours.
Panamanian Foreign Ministry officials did not respond yesterday to questions about the discrepancy in the version of events.
Seldon Lady faces prison in Italy after being convicted in absentia in the 2003 abduction of an Egyptian terrorism suspect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees