Japan: Nagasaki marks 67th atomic bomb anniversary
Osaka: Nagasaki marked the 67th anniversary of the western Japanese city`s atomic bombing on Thursday, with US Ambassador to Japan in attendance, calling for a world free of threats from radiation, local press reported.
The peace memorial ceremony, held at the city`s Peace Park, was attended by survivors, bereaved family members and Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda to commemorate the nearly 160,000 victims killed by the attack.
Representatives from more than 40 countries joined the bereaved family members and survivors to participate in the ceremony, among them being US Ambassador John Roos, who attended the Nagasaki event for the first time.
A silent prayer was offered to the deceased at 11:02 am local time, the exact time the atomic bomb was dropped on the city.
Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue made a speech at the ceremony, urging the Japanese government to take proper initiatives that would stop any and all nuclear weapons-related activities in the international community, from their development to deployment, so that Nagasaki will become the last place ever attacked with a nuclear weapon.
He also referred to last year`s nuclear disaster at the Fukushima No 1 nuclear power plant in his peace declaration, appealing to the government to formulate a new energy policy in order to rebuild Japanese society so that it will never be threatened by the harmful effects of radiation and to take concrete measures to replace nuclear power with renewable energy sources.
A series of seminars and meetings with themes on the peaceful utilisation of atomic power are expected to continue in the city until the evening hours, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'